CROSH Webinar – Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity in the Workplace
March 27, 2019 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Registration link: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/fc3a5f05180f3ea934538d7d4481ef37 After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Speaker: Anik Dennie
Webinar Description: Considering how much time we spend at work during the course of our lives, a healthy working environment is ideal. But what happens when we cannot be ourselves at work? According to a recent study at Laurentian University, only 30.7% of people identifying as LGBTQ2-S are open about their sexuality and/or gender identity on campus. This leaves 69.3% of students, staff and faculty feeling the need to hide who they are. We can only imagine the health impact and feelings of isolation this may cause. But what if I told you there were ways to ensure that your workplaces are safe for people to be themselves? This presentation will help you reflect on simple changes to ensure individuals’ occupational health remains positive and how to keep the work atmosphere positive.
Speaker Bio: Anik Dennie graduated from her bachelor’s in Physical and Health Education with a specialization in Health Promotion in 2017. She is currently pursuing her Master of Human Kinetics at Laurentian University. Her thesis will be focusing on exploring the effects of homophobia in high school physical education classes, school sports and community sports on future levels of physical activity and sports participation. Anik also runs a Diversity and Equity Education business with a special focus on the LGBTQ2-S population . Her interest within the field along with her lived experiences come together in order to create open and safe spaces to share and build knowledge on sexual orientation and gender identity in the workplace.